A Practical Checklist to Help You Get Settled After Moving January 24, 2023 23:21
Moving locations can benefit you in many ways, from opening up career opportunities to allowing you to discover a new city. Whatever your reasons for moving, you want to make sure that the process goes as smoothly as possible. The below checklist from our blog can help you get settled into your new surroundings for both in-state and out-of-state moves.
Get Organized Before Your Move to Save Stress Later
Try these pre-moving tips to ensure a streamlined transition.
- Declutter before you move so you have less stuff to lug to your new place.
- Hire professional movers, vetting them with essential questions like whether they're insured or not.
- Follow best practices when packing, like labeling boxes by room.
Do Your Research to Find Essential Goods and Services in Your New Place
Knowing where to go for basic amenities is essential to settling into your new home.
- Know where to turn in case you get sick by looking up healthcare providers in the area before you go.
- If you have kids, check out school districts before you move.
- In case your new home needs repairs, you can use an online search tool to find plumbers, electricians, and more.
Make Your New House Feel Like a Home With These Personal Touches
These hacks will make your space cozier and more homelike
- Add comfortable touches like throw pillows and plush blankets to your space.
- Use an online photo printing service to print out pictures of friends and family. Having your loved ones on display can minimize homesickness.
- Don't forget to spruce up your property exterior as well. A brass hose accessory can be practical and aesthetically pleasing.
Make An Effort to Settle In Socially
Here are some resources to help you connect with your community.
- Try websites and apps to get to know the locals, like NextDoor.
- Look up local events where you can mingle with others from your neighborhood.
- Another option is to reconnect with people you already know using online databases to search for old friends, roommates, and schoolmates. For example, you can search school alumni using online search tools.